New Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

City by the Bay

Oh, what's this? My blog! It's been so long! I'm so sorry to have abandoned you it's just that...I was...busy? Okay, I don't actually have a good excuse so let's just call it "writer's block" and move on. So, what's new? The school year is about to begin! Summer vacation is already ending and I don't feel like I did much, to be honest, but I had a really great time not doing much. The only traveling we did outside of San Diego was a trip to the Bay Area and other than that it was kind of nice to just stay put. The dogs appreciated it.
 Our friends were getting married in Sacramento so Chris and I decided to drive up a week early and stay in San Francisco with my brother. It was apparently a great week to be in the notoriously cool and cloudy city because the weather was beautiful while we were there. We went to a fair in Japantown,  the Nihonmachi Street Fair (where I bought this awesome ABC board book, which I probably can't have in my classroom), and I was instantly drawn to the Japanese influenced shops and restaurants in the neighborhood, with the tall Peace Pagoda shooting up from the center of the plaza. It truly felt like I was in Japan, which speaks volumes about the community's work on keeping Japantown authentic.
San Francisco is so big and urban that things are always changing and there's always something new to discover. Like Japantown, Hidden Garden Steps is one of those new discoveries (for me). It's the work of a community-based public art project that aimed to create a public garden and mosaic tile designs on the various flights of stairs that lead to a hill that overlooks the entire city.  Visiting these steps is a way to get in a little exercise, some art appreciation, and a spectacular 360 degree view of the city. Also, it's still fairly obscure so not overrun with tourists (yet).
We did a lot of walking, as one does, in San Francisco and I took shots of simple things that interested me for whatever reason - color, mostly, but the squirrel and bird, too, because the city seems like such a "concrete jungle" that when you come across Golden Gate Park and it's expanse of nature it makes you realize you haven't seen wild animals or greenery in a while. And that may be the number one reason I can't see myself living in a metropolis like San Francisco, although I do love to visit.
Paradoxically, the reason why I can't see myself living in San Francisco is also one of the reasons I really enjoy the city - the buildings. Since the demographic of the city is so varied there are many cultures spread throughout the various neighborhoods and each one, with it's own distinct flair, makes the architecture of San Francisco eclectic and exciting. From the cute Painted Ladies Victorian style houses, immortalized in the opening credits of Full House, to the Gothic church in Nob Hill, there's something to fit everyone's aesthetic. 
While some people visited Asia, and Central America, and South Africa this summer, Chris and I went to San Francisco, which is never disappointing. Sometimes it feels good to stay local(ish) and who knows what trips the future holds for us. Thanksgiving in Cabo?
Thanks for reading and while I wholeheartedly intend to post with more frequency I won't make any promises.

No comments: