New Pages

Friday, December 5, 2014

A Visit to the Bay Area

Since I know that most (if not all) of the readers of this blog are family and friends I don't have to go into much detail about what I was doing over Thanksgiving because chances are you already know all that. Suffice to say that I went to the Bay Area and stayed with my brother, his girlfriend and their roommate (and adorable pup, Pookie). Therefore, this post is going to be heavy on the photos and light on the writing. 
My bro lives downtown so I got to play tourist and take photos of Union Square all dressed up for the holidays.  I did not go ice skating (I might have been just a little buzzed from day drinking, because vacation, duh!) but it was a popular activity for many. 
We took the ferry north to Marin County, passing the San Quentin State Prison on the way, to get Tina's car and drive to Sonoma Valley, her hometown. There we enjoyed a private wine tasting at Ledson winery, had dinner at the super delicious and nostalgia inducing El Coqui Puerto Rican Cuisine, finished by a walk to check out the Peanuts statues placed all around Santa Rosa's downtown area (Charles M. Shulz raised his family at a nearby estate called Coffee Grounds). One day (soon, hopefully) I will go back to Santa Rosa to do the Peanuts walking tour and visit the Charles M. Schulz Museum where I imagine I will be overcome with childlike glee. 

We spent all day Monday in Monterey Bay visiting the famous aquarium (separate post on that to come) and walking around historic Cannery Row - once home to many sardine canning factories and which is most famously know for being the setting of a John Steinbeck novel by the same name. In the evening the tide was low so we went down to the shore and explored the tide pools.  Then we ate nachos and tacos at a vegan Mexican restaurant (with actual Mexican owners and cooks), El Cantaro. It was so good!
My last day in San Francisco I hung out with a friend and we walked around the city doing vintage shopping, eating lunch, and happy hour hopping. It was a fun way to end my Bay Area vacation! I always have a good time when I visit because I get my urban fix, there's always something to do and people to do it with. There are issues with San Fran- gentrification, exceedingly expensive rent, human poop on the streets, and a growing homeless population - that make me sad and worried for its future but there's still a lot of excitement and wonder and pride in The City by the Bay that keep me wanting to go back for more.
Have a great weekend! And another big thanks to my brother for hosting me and letting me play hours of Wii with him!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Anytime, bananie.
Jamsey

Cootsey said...

POOKIE IN A STROLLER WITH HER E-COLLAR ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mami said...

Awwwww.....James and his "Noopy"
Memories