New Pages

Monday, September 15, 2014

Gute Reise

This post is for my parents, to express to to them my feelings about their moving to Austria and to wish them a safe and fantastic time in Europe. 
Dear Mami and Papi,
It still hasn't quite sunk in that you two are actually moving to Vienna, like, for real moving to Vienna. Your flight leaves on Thursday! I think it's because we've lived far apart from each other for well over a decade so I'm used to only seeing you both a few times a year. Yet lately I've started to realize that even though we haven't lived nearby all this time I've still been able to pick up the phone and chat with you anytime I needed to, but that's not going to be so easy anymore because, well, right now it's 3:30 pm here in San Diego but in Austria it's past midnight.  Now our phone calls have to be planned out and scheduled. The part of my brain and heart that's psychologically connected to you living in the center of the US is going to have to reconfigure itself to Austrian time. That's going to be weird and it'll take some getting used to.
But, honestly, that's the only negative thing I could come up with about your move overseas. Just that one thing because living in Austria sounds amazing! Your embarking on an adventure together, with your best friend and first love, to a country that is routinely voted as one of the best places to live in the world. You may never come back (and maybe we'll go join you)!
I am so excited for this next stage of your life, I think it's going to be wonderful. You'll get to travel all over Europe, you'll learn some German, you'll meet new friends, you'll experience the arts, lots of history, the four seasons, and enjoy a new culture. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I'm so happy you two decided to go for it. It takes guts to make such a huge change and you both have proven time and time again just how gutsy you are, which makes me a very proud daughter.
Maybe part of my excitement comes from the possible fulfillment of my childhood dream to visit the magnificent country where The Sound Of Music was filmed and twirl around singing with the snow-covered Alps surrounding me. Or maybe my psyche is thinking back to my college years, when I studied psychology and was interested in all things Freud, hyping me up about going to the land of the "father of psychoanalysis". Or maybe it's because, now that I'm a Californian, I feel the need to know where our former governator was born. Maybe all or none of those reasons are true but what is true is that I am so happy for you two.
And don't worry about James, Carolita, or me - we'll be fine (although not as fine as you two will be, gallivanting about in the City of Music); you've taught as to be adaptable from a very early age and we will adapt to having jet-setting parents, don't worry! Yes of course we will miss you but I'll deal with the long distance if it means vacations in Europe. Plus, we're not alone here. We've got each other, we've got Chris, Drew, and Tina, and lots of family all over. We're good. We'll miss you so much, but we're fine.
We're all in our thirties now; your work here is done. This is your time now. You've done so much for us and many other members of the family, more so than a lot of people would have done, and now you deserve a cool Alpine lifestyle, for a few years or maybe longer, who knows, but you do deserve it so enjoy it! Sure, Papi, you'll be working so it's not all fun and games yet, but I've got to imagine that employment in Vienna beats working in small town Texas and Kansas any day.  Plus you've still got Muneca to busy yourselves with so you're not entirely free of "child" rearing responsibilities just yet. 
Let me conclude this by saying that you two are an inspiration to me. While a lot of people settle down and get comfortable when they retire, you two do the opposite - begin a new career, sell the house, and move across the world. I'm in awe of you both and I love you endlessly. See you in December!
Bon voyage! Gute Reise! !Buen viaje!
XOXO
Nana

5 comments:

Name said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Nana! To tell you the truth everything related to making this happen is highly stressful. For example I was shocked to see when weighing bags to keep them under the 50 lb limit that I have lost 10 pounds the past month! And I often wish I simply would have played it safe and kept working for USDA another 4 years in Kansas. Tonight is our last night in the Valley for a while and we have an arduous drive to Chicago ahead of us with a stop in Austin to hope that the papers for Muneca are in order and we get the veterinary certificate and that Austria accepts it. Too many things have happened at the last minute for my level of desired comfort. I am not that adventuresome, but I force myself to do it every once in a while to be human. Like when I decided that I wanted to get to know your future mom. I had never done something like that before. Luckily I picked well and I am so grateful she is with me in this latest adventure. I could not imagine it without her help.
See you there; it will be great!

Carolita said...

A great post about two great people going on a great adventure!!!!
Thanks for keeping the positive outlook on this, because I was starting to do have panicky feelings about them leaving. But, like you said, it's going to be alright. More than alright, it's going to be great!

Cootlie said...

Woah, I just read Papi's comment. Well, you appeared to be handling it really well because you didn't seem too stressed out to me! Nana was right, though. You and Mami don't do the comfortable, play-it-safe thing, and that's inspiring! You challenge yourselves a lot! After all, we only get this one chance on Earth!

Kallmen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kallmen said...

Like to all of the above! You are very brave to such a bold step for a second career!