New Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

Memorial Day Weekend

This is me and one of my best friends, Anita, acting like big dorks on Memorial Day. I met Anita the first day of my Peace Corps service, at the hotel where we had staging in DC. She stood out because she was wearing green high heels and talking loudly while I was in my sensible Chaco sandals, acting shy around so many new faces. But we hit it off pretty quickly when we learned that we are both from Texas, both love wine, and are Leos, so our friendship has remained strong ever since. Anita and her fiance, Carlos, came to visit us over the long weekend and we basically spent our time in various outdoor spaces eating food and soaking up the sun. 
We went to Little Italy for San Diego's best farmer's market and sampled lots of treats and stuffed a tote full of goodies. Then, as per Chris' suggestion, we took Carlos and her to see Chicano Park, a newly discovered favorite place of ours, which we've visited four times over the last six months. They seemed just as impressed with all the colorful murals and history as we were; there's so much to learn in Chicano Park.
And, of course, we spent a lot of time at the beach - Carlos even got to try stand up paddle-boarding for the first time - while Chris surfed as often as he could. If it were possible for him to take his laptop and phone into the ocean and process patents while on his surfboard he would do it.

We spent Memorial Day evening at the Oceanside pier, trying to stretch Anita and Carlos' travel to San Diego county as far along the coast as possible. I think we did a pretty decent job in just three days. 
We were there long enough to watch the sunset and then dine on delicious vegan (for us) and gluten-free (for her) Thai food from Rim Talay. If you ever go, get the Panang Curry with mock dock - so good that I finished my entire serving, which tends to be generous at Thai restaurants. Then order the sticky rice with mango. Oh, and don't forget the wine - Cabernet, preferably.
It's only been a few days since my sister-from-another-mister (and mother) left but I already miss her company. True friends like her are hard to come by the older I get, although I've met some amazing coworkers for whom I've got a lot of friendship hope. Pretty much I need people that I can be awkward, dorky, and sometimes crabby around, without the fear of judgement. 
Yup, we missed a high-five. Have a great June Eve everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh! California, I miss it!
It looks like you guys had a great time!
☺ Mami