New Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Las Gaviotas

When I was a teenager living in South Texas I went to the border town of Reynosa, Mexico at least twice a month. Things seemed safer back then and it wasn't uncommon to see groups of American high school students walking across the bridge, dressed up in outfits for a night of dancing at clubs that never carded at the door. On Sundays the border would be full of elderly Americans buying prescriptions and going to the dentist because health care was more affordable in Mexico. The relationship between the two border towns was alive and well, but that was before The Secure Fence Act literally divided the countries and screwed up the camaraderie. Since moving away from Texas it had been many years since I'd set foot into a Mexican border city, until this past weekend when I finally made it to Tijuana and then just a few miles further south into Las Gaviotas. 
Being a San Diego native, Chris had been to Baja California on many occasions but this was our first time going together. After hearing about a friend's recent trip to Las Gaviotas I decided it sounded like the perfect weekend getaway so we headed down during my spring break with a bunch of friends. We crammed the Prius with surfboards (because Chris), food (because vegan food is hard to come by in Latin America), and booze (because duh) and arrived at our picturesque destination in under two hours.
We settled in quickly and had cocktails on the porch - the deep blue Pacific ocean, palm trees fluttering in the wind, and Spanish tiled roofs in our view.
After our first drink we explored the community. I especially loved all the colorful tiles, the ceramic pottery full of succulents and native plants, and the quaint streets, houses, and alleyways, all uniform in their cleanliness and Spanish style but unique in their decorations and layouts. 
Chris, of course, was drawn to the water - the waves, the surf, the swell; it didn't take him long to suit up and paddle out. 
Camera in tow I followed him, finding a cozy spot on the beach with a good view of the surfers. One day I'll have a telephoto lens so I can get clearer and nearer photos since I don't imagine I'll be going into the frigid Pacific anytime soon.
Evenings were spent pretty much the same as the day time - with drinks and friends on the porch.
(Mira, Mami, evidencia de que me estaba protegiendo del sol!)
*Gaviotas means seagulls in Spanish, and there were plenty of them.*
When it got too cold outside (down into the 50s at night) we'd all move indoors and hang out by the fireplace. We had a really nice time at Las Gaviotas and although there were a few silly shenanigans, nothing got too crazy; I'm pretty sure I was in bed before 11 both nights...grown-up style.
And even though the wait to cross the border back into the U.S was three hours (making the return trip about 5 hours) I think it was still worth it. I came home with three beautiful pots, a nice tan, great photos, and fun memories. But we will start working on obtaining a Sentri Pass for future travel to Mexico...
*When life hands you limones, play the ukulele.*
Till the next time, Mexico, I'll keep this dreamy view from our bedroom porch warmly stored in my memory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Proud of you Nanita! ;)