New Pages

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Bebes and Birthdays

I have blogger's guilt...the last post I wrote was three weeks ago. That is not the type of posting schedule that makes for a good blog. Good bloggers post several times a week. I want to post more because I love writing but sometimes my real-life schedule, the one that earns me money and where I interact with real-life people, gets in the way. But that's a good thing! I'd much rather say that I couldn't write anything because I was busy working and hosting family rather than not writing anything because I was depressed, jobless, and hadn't bathed in weeks. Anyway...
I'm back! Back to share with you, my dear reader, another fun weekend spent here in gorgeous Southern California. A special weekend because Chris' family from the Northeast came to visit for Amber's baby shower and to celebrate Nanna's 80th birthday.
You might remember that I briefly mentioned Nanna turned 80 about a month ago; well, she got to hold on to 79 for just a little longer so the rest of the clan could make it out here for her birthday party...and party we did.
As is usual whenever there's a big get together like this one, the party was held at Kristi and Dave's house, The Allmen Ranch, where there's plenty of open space to let loose and lots of big animals to love.
(Gluten free, dairy free, vegan - there were many diets to appease.)
It was the quintessential San Diego afternoon - warm weather, bright, unabated sun, and cold drinks shared with friends and family out on the porch; a timely reprieve for those traveling from cooler climates. 
As the sunlight grew dimmer and the air cooler everyone gathered inside to continue the celebration.
Then some of us (not going to incriminate anyone) continued the celebration even further back at our place - a night that ended in the early morning hours with a game we renamed "Slappa The Bagga", popular with college students and, apparently, extended family members that only get to see each other once a year. Obviously we forgot that we'd be losing an hour of sleep that night due to Daylight Savings.
But we made it to Amber's baby shower all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed anyhow!
Just water, I swear!
The shower was at the Hacienda De Vega restaurant in Escondido, where we sat in the River Lounge and soaked in the restorative powers of fresh air and sunshine.
It was so nice to see everyone and such a privilege to live in a house big enough to host all the cousins and get into silly shenanigans - I love these people. Also, a big thanks to Chris who took the role of photographer when I could no longer manage any tasks that required focus and precision. 
Yup. That's my husband. Have a great weekend everyone, spend it outside in the extra hour of sunlight!

4 comments:

Diana Papazian said...

Thank you for hosting us. We always enjoy seeing you two.

Kallmen said...

Ana...we are all so thankful that you so beautifully chronicle our special events and what makes all parts of our family so special!

Anonymous said...

Great pics ma lady. And what a nice hat you're donning! It's so nice to see the family and also makes me wish the good times would continue but alas, all good things must come to an end ;-( until the next gathering!

C

Anonymous said...

Great pics ma lady. And what a nice hat you're donning! It's so nice to see the family and also makes me wish the good times would continue but alas, all good things must come to an end ;-( until the next gathering!

C