New Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

Sunday Surf

It's been a month since I've been to the beach, which is pathetic when you realize how close to it I live. Chris still surfs a few times a week but I haven't been able to manage teaching and the work that goes into setting up a new house, plus the daily chores, like, taking the dogs on a walk, preparing dinner, cleaning, etc., well enough to enjoy a couple of hours of relaxation without feeling guilty...until this past Sunday (which seems to me like a sign that I've found my life rhythm again).


Sunday morning I woke up and the air was crisp and the sun was already shining brightly overhead which made me feel happy. Downstairs Chris was busy brewing a pot of coffee and making himself a quick breakfast before heading out to surf when I surprised him by asking if I had time to get ready to join him; yes - he was thrilled. I put on leggings, a sweater, and my flip flops, grabbed the camera bag, a traveler's guide book to Maui (for our upcoming vacation!), my thermos of coffee, and then we were off. 


The sand was still cold from the frigid night air and made my toes feel numb, which almost put me in a bad mood, but the water and sky were so strikingly blue and peaceful to look at that I soon forgot my temper and by late morning the sun had warmed me and the sand considerably. 


While Chris surfed I took photos, never opening the Maui book I had brought along; content to lose myself in nature and wait for something to inspire a photograph. I spent much time watching Chris, waiting for him to catch the perfect wave and, of course, the second I became distracted by something nearby I'd look back at the ocean only to see I'd missed the wave and Chris would be paddling out again. I did manage to get a few shots in, some of which Chris actually liked.


What kept distracting me away from Chris? Animals, of course; birds in particular - they're everywhere and they're photogenic.

*This little thing hung out, balanced on that one skinny leg, for a long while.
*Look at the size of this crow! I'm obsessed. Chris thinks I'm crazy but, seriously, these birds are brilliant. He compares them to rats. Well, rats are pretty smart, haven't you ever read Mrs. Frisby and The Rats of NIMH??? Best book ever! Okay, I'll calm down now.

Spending Sunday morning by the water was a great way to recharge for an afternoon of lesson plans and chores. Looks like my Surf Wednesdays will be moving to Sunday and it's better than not having them at all. Why did I stay away as long as I had?


 Have a great week everyone and happy belated Fall!



















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Was that rat bird flying away with the trashcan of snacks?

C