New Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Fledgling Vegan: The Best Hummus


Adapting a vegan palate can take time, especially if you're someone who eats animal products on a daily basis. Tofu, tempeh, vital wheat gluten...they don't sound especially appetizing (to our culture, at least) but once your taste buds begin to develop their plant-based wings these food items become cravings - much like bacon and ice cream, sans guilt and cruelty. During the transition phase it can help to eat food that even meat eaters enjoy, like hummus.

Yes, hummus is readily available in all grocery stores but it's so easy and more affordable to make yourself. The following hummus recipe is from vegan chef and blogger, Dreena Burton. I discovered the cookbook eat, drink & be vegan while visiting my sister in New Mexico. Caroline has been vegan for over a year, vegetarian before that for over seven years, and she is the main inspiration behind my veganism (and my feminism, but that's for a whole different post).


When my own copy of the book arrived in the mail I tore it open and the first thing I made was Black Bean & Orange Hummus  (she has an entire chapter dedicated solely to hummus recipes). The recipe I'm going to share with you today isn't that one, because, although quite tasty, I haven't made it again so I don't have any photos. The hummus recipe I have kept making from the book is called Kid's Dynamo Hummus and I think it resembles plain ol' traditional, mild, delicious, creamy hummus the best.

Kid's Dynamo Hummus - 6 servings, about 3 cups

3/4 cup of raw cashews

3 tbsps of lemon juice

1 1/2 cups chickpeas/garbanzo beans (precooked if using dry beans; I use one entire 15 oz can)

1 large clove of garlic (a smaller one if you're actually making it for "Kids")

1 tbsp of tahini

1 tbsp of olive oil

about 2 tbsps of flax oil (or olive oil if you don't have flax oil, no need to buy something special)

1/2 tsp of sea salt

2 tbsps of nutritional yeast (can be found in any health food store - I buy ours at Sprouts)

5-6 tbsps of water to thin out the dip as it's being processed


Dump the cashews and lemon juice into a food processor or blender and puree until it's crumbly. 

Pour in the rest of the ingredients, except the water:

garbanzos and crushed (not minced) garlic:
*Notice the pureed cashews underneath the garbanzos and along the sides?

tahini and oils:

salt and nutritional yeast:

Puree for a couple of minutes, adding water to thin, until the consistency is smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the processor or blender to make sure you're not wasting any deliciousness. Then pour into one large container or two smaller containers if it's hard for you to share. You can top it off with black pepper, more nutritional yeast, whatever you think sounds good, or just eat it as is, like we do. 


Enjoy with carrot sticks, pretzel chips, or a spoon! 

P.S - I made this one week ago and finished mine in three days while Chris slowly cherishes (and teases me with) his. 










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I notice that your container is bigger than Chris'. ;-)
Pop