New Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Flight of the Fledgling Vegan: Smoky Tempeh Sandwiches

This morning my cousin, Dora, asked me for my Big Wave Granola recipe so I sent her this link. As I was copying and pasting it into an email I noticed that I had started the post with "This isn't a food blog. I repeat, this isn't a food blog" and I'm here to rephrase that: This isn't JUST a food blog; I repeat, this isn't JUST a food blog. See, Chris and I have decided to become vegans (he's not going to like this photo, but, all is fair in love and war ).


The reasons we've become vegan are animal rights, environmental ethics, and health. In future posts I'll discuss each issue in more detail but for now, in this "coming out" post, I just want to keep it simple. So far we are about a month into our veganism and we feel great. We were never major meat eaters to begin with and were mostly vegetarian before so the transition hasn't been difficult, but I know that's not the case for everyone. It definitely helps to have vegan cookbooks and websites at hand to find tasty recipes, like this one from the potty-mouthed folks at Thug Kitchen:


Gather all your ingredients:

  1. 8 ounces of tempeh
  2. 1 teaspoon olive oil
  3. ½ cup vegetable broth or water
  4. ¼ cup sherry vinegar, rice vinegar, or, apple cider vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
  5. 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce (I used soy)
  6. 2 tablespoons of smoky hot sauce (I used sriracha but will use something else next time for more smokiness)
  7. 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  8. 3 cloves of garlic
  9. black pepper


In a bowl dump all the ingredients together except for the tempeh and olive oil; this will be the marinade.


Then cut the tempeh width-wise, into thin, half inch strips. 


Put the sliced tempeh into a shallow container, pour all the marinade over it, and let it sit for thirty minutes.


While the tempeh is marinating make a side salad. Our go-to side salads consist of romaine lettuce, a mixture of baby spinach and baby kale, thinly sliced onion, tomatoes, carrots, and cucumbers with a handful of sesame seeds thrown on top. Our go-to salad dressing is one part balsamic vinegar to three parts olive oil, minced garlic, and lemon juice, with a sprinkle of brown sugar and black pepper mixed in.


Once the tempeh has marinated (save the marinade!) brown the slices with a little bit of olive oil over medium heat in a pan on the stove for about 5 minutes per side. If it starts to look dry then pour a little marinade over it while it cooks. 

When the tempeh is brown (ours came out light brown, which is fine) it's ready to be layered in a sandwich. I used hummus and parts of the salad, minus the carrots and dressing, for ours. 


Then it's ready to eat.


Enjoy!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can do this, too!
Pop