New Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Welcome The Calm

As much as I enjoy an active social life - the past five weekends were booked full with outings, traveling, visits, and gatherings – I am really looking forward to a relaxing weekend at home with nothing planned. I can’t wait to wake up late, make a pot of coffee, and lounge all day while reading, browsing the web on my iPad, and watching television. Yes, wine will also be involved of course.  Honestly, as usually happens on these lazy weekends, I probably won’t bathe – at least not on Saturday…I may not even get out of my pajamas – I’ve learned to welcome the calm.

*A visit from Heather, a teacher I worked with in Austin who is now a proud aunt.
 *Celebrating Kristi's birthday with the family (and the dogs).

When I was in high school and in college I couldn’t wait to fill the weekends with social events like parties and concerts. Saturdays and Sundays were a blur due to going to sleep late, waking late, working in a fast-paced restaurant scene, and then going out afterwards - wash, rinse, repeat.  If a weekend wasn’t saturated with activities I’d get restless and bored. Now, as I get older and further removed from the party scene, I’ve started to accept the calm. Chris is good at this and he's patiently helping me along.


This weekend warrior has traded her heels for flip flops, perfect for throwing off when meandering barefoot indoors and slipping on when taking the dogs on a walk to the field. I still like going out, I still love to dance, and weekend cocktails are still my thing, but not with the frequency and in the amount that they used to be. Eating pizza, sipping wine, and watching a movie on the couch with Chris has become my typical Friday night. On Saturday mornings waking up late is anytime after 7 and before 8am and going to sleep late means between midnight and 2 am. Gone are mornings that began at noon and bedtimes that started as the sun rose. I’ve learned to embrace the calm.


The weekend is almost here, time to find and enjoy the calm, whatever that may mean to you.




1 comment:

Chris said...

Here's to welcoming more calm and coffee this weekend.

C