New Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

The 100th Post and Sexist Zombie Killers

Three years ago, two weeks after Chris and I were married, I created the Los Franich blog with this first post - a post I'm not sure anyone has ever read because my blogger stats don't show any hits for that particular page. Within these three years I stopped writing for 10 months and then got back into it on a whim in August of 2011. Now I've written one hundred posts and even though I don't think I have as many readers as I envisioned that I would three years ago (and probably less since I quit Facebook) I've still managed to fulfill the aspirations I set for myself in that first blog post; namely that keeping a blog would discipline me into writing more frequently. And because of this, I'm proud of me today (I literally just high-fived myself)!

From post number one to post number one hundred we've acquired a second dog and moved across the country; Chris finished law school and is now an attorney; I went from unemployment to substituting, to thinking I would get my Master's in Literature, to teaching, to unemployment, to the part-time job I have now as a community liaison; we've attended a million weddings; we've gone from using a compact camera to a DSLR; we've traveled to Southwestern Mexico, the Turks and Caicos, Colombia, and all over the U.S;  I've gone from experimenting with Feng Shui to reupholstering chairs. Basically we've done a whole freaking lot, but who doesn't in three years?

Now that I've written one hundred posts it seems like the appropriate time to set a new goal for the blog. This specific goal is something I've been thinking about for months and I actually considered starting a separate blog dedicated to it but I realized I don't have the time for that so I'm going to add it to this blog instead. Since Chris and I both regularly follow the news - and I specifically am interested in current events that deal with women - my new goal for the future of this blog is to feature one post every other week or so regarding my thoughts and opinions on some of those issues that are local to Southern California - let's call it the SoCal Feminist Feature, if you will. This new goal makes me nervous because I've battled with the decision to keep this blog away from politics (except for this post ) or, instead, to voice my concerns. I think it's time to try something new so I'm going to go ahead and do it with the hopes that I won't lose any of the few followers that I have.

Let's jump right in, shall we?

*Trigger Warning*

One of the blogs that I read religiously is Feministing and through it I learned today that there's a company in Poway, in North County San Diego, that designs zombies for target shooting practice. Sounds dorky but innocent enough until you learn that last week one of the zombie bleeding targets they design was removed by the National Rifle Association at one of their shows because of it's resemblance to President Obama. Now they're in the news again because of a target they're calling "The Ex":


Because perpetuating violence against women is hilarious and not problematic in the least! Since zombies aren't real the people at Zombie Industries think it's just a funny joke...haha. In the description of "The Ex", Zombie Industries proudly acknowledges that they've made headlines because of this bleeding zombie target and adds: We take preparation for the Zombie Apocalypse seriously, which is why we strive to have all groups of undead monsters represented in our product selection.  In addition to the Ex Girlfriend Zombie, we currently sell 15 male zombies, 5 animal zombies & 2 aliens… to discriminate against Women by not having them represented in our product selection would be just plain sexist.

Of course none of their "15 male zombies, 5 animal zombies & 2 aliens" are sexualized like The Ex is and they all look like zombies whereas the only thing that looks unnatural about The Ex is that she's missing eyes.

Zombie Industries adds insult to injury in the blurb they wrote explaining how The Ex became a zombie that needed to be killed in the first place (a pre-zombie history is written for all their zombie targets but none is as misogynistic as The Ex's): Be warned, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned but a man scorned is nothing to mess with! A young gent from Louisiana, we’ll call him Andre` to protect his identity, was deeply committed to his one true love and her to him, or so he thought. While partying with her friends during one particular Mardi Gras, she took several suitors over the course of the festivities. Andre` felt something odd indeed, so he paid a visit to his great aunt, Marie, who helped him see the truth. With a few eggs, candles lit and kiss upon his forehead, her voodoo curse was set in motion. Late each night while lying in bed, a smile would appear across his face, for a slight breeze would travel through a cracked window bringing with it, a faint whiff of decay and a unnatural cry of regret. 

Because women that cheat on their men (a sweet, innocent "gent from Louisiana") deserve to be murdered, duh!

Maybe Zombie Industries isn't aware that about 40 percent of the real women really killed each year in the United States are murdered by an intimate partner, most often with guns. Maybe they don't realize that violence against women is a real issue and that relegating it to a joke does a disservice to women, especially those who have been victims of abuse. Maybe we should let them know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

100 already? Doesn't seem like it! Maybe readership will pick up now that your blog includes controversy. Regardless, keep writing, even if it is only to hone your own ideas and skills. Good luck!
Pop