New Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Surf Wednesdays

We've started a new tradition and we call it Surf Wednesday because we go to the beach on Wednesdays after work and Chris surfs. A simple and enjoyable activity, which is why it has effortlessly become a tradition. We chose Wednesday because it's in the middle of the work week and we can both use an easy pick-me-up by then; although if the waves aren't good enough for Chris sometimes Surf Wednesday becomes Surf Thursday.

At first I was hesitant about this mid-weekly activity because I thought I'd get bored just hanging out on the shore while Chris surfed but , after we bought our new camera, I began looking forward to the after-work surf sessions in order to hone my photography skills. Then, one Wednesday afternoon as I was getting ready to meet Chris at work, I opened the fridge for a snack and noticed a half-empty bottle of white wine alone on the shelf and I had what is often referred to as an "Ah-ha!" moment - take wine to the beach! So I poured the equivalent of two cups of wine into a Nalgene bottle, grabbed the camera and my bag, and drove off. Surf Wednesdays have never been the same: ocean + sunset + photography + reading + wine = Ana very happy.

And then Chris bought me a folding lounge chair and I might as well call it quits now because how can life get better than this? (Answer: He carries it so I can balance the wine in one hand and the camera in the other.)



Then he does his thing:


And I do mine:


When I'm through exploring I stretch out in my new blue chair and read and sip wine until the setting sun is almost obscured by the ocean, which is when Chris usually paddles in. Together we watch the sun's dramatic finale until the curtain closes on another day.


Surf Wednesdays are so relaxing and refreshing, a mid-week baptism that renews our senses, connects us with nature, and let's us reflect on our purpose in life. Thankfully my initial hesitation was unfounded and now I look forward to the middle of the week. If you don't already have a mid-week tradition that heals you, seek one out - it'll make you a happier person.

As always, thanks for stopping by.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys are having an awesome life! Enjoy it!
Pop

Anonymous said...

I believe each day should be surf Wednesday!

C