New Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Crow

I've been behind on my posts this week because we had company staying with us in our guest room/office and since I'm a creature of habit I only like to blog on the desktop computer, which is in the office. The desk sits in front of a large window and I like to feel the breeze come in and hear all the birds sounds outside.

Speaking of birds, we have had some avian drama around here. Last week I was outside with the dogs, reading on the porch, and they were intensely sniffing a pine tree on the side of the yard. I noticed a crow perched on a low branch, at about the same height as the dogs, and I figured it would fly away as soon as the dog's noticed it. Instead it got scared and fell to the ground, at which point I thought it's wing was broken. It hopped towards the shed, which is about a four foot vertical drop from the the grassy edge, and jumped down to get away from the dogs, who were going after it. I figured it would be safe for a few seconds because the dogs have never jumped down to the shed from the grass - something in their depth perception has kept them away - so I got up to try and grab the crow and suddenly Bear, twelve-year-old-semi-arthritic-overweight-I-don't-chase-balls-I'm-a-Japanese-princess-Bear, leapt down from the ledge, sprinted to the crow, and grabbed it in his mouth like he thinks he's Lassie or something. About a month ago I witnessed him kill a baby opossum so apparently twelve is when Akita's become real dogs.

Anyway, after getting over my shock of witnessing Bear jump down I yelled at him to let go of the crow and he, reluctantly, did. The crow kind of half hopped and glided away to hide before I could grab it and then I spent the next four days giving it water and trying to coax it out of it's hiding place so I could take it to a local veterinarian that works with Project Wildlife to rehabilitate wild animals.

During my time with the crow I learned a few things:

1) Crows are smart. Every time I would try to check on the crow, it's family, which kept a vigilant watch over it the entire time, would squawk loudly and consistently as soon as I slid open the back door - warning the young crow - which made it difficult for me to sneak up unexpectedly and grab it.

2) Crow parents are cruel. When I finally got the crow to the veterinarian the vet tech told me that she didn't think the crow's wing was broken. She said the crow looked pretty young, which I also thought due to it's adorable fuzzy head, and that it might have been learning to fly. One of the Project Wildlife volunteers was sitting in the waiting room and she said that crow parents are notorious for pushing their crows out of the nest, even though they still watch over them and try to feed them if it's safe. She said that they rescue a lot of young crows, many of them emaciated, because of this harsh weaning behavior. She also said they try to return the rescued animals to the same area where they were found so they can rejoin their community.

3) I have become a crazy bird person.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're story reminded me of similar rescue stories told by your abuelita Lucy. Clearly, it's in your blood, in your genes, to love and care so much for all animals. I'm proud of you Nanita.
Mami

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I hate the auto correction. I wrote YOUR story ... not you're ...

Anonymous said...

HA! Bear does enjoy small animals in his mouth. I remeber when he killed a rat in Houston with his mouth.

Jamsey