Big Wave Granola: Healthy(ish), Easy, Vegan
3 cups of oats (rolled or steel cut, it doesn't matter)
1 cup of raw sunflower seeds
1 cup of raw pumpkin seeds
1 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup of brown sugar (light or dark, it doesn't matter; use more sugar if you want a sweeter granola)
1 and 1/4 cups of nuts (any kind: pecans, almonds, cashews, macadamia, or a mixture of them)
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
pinch of salt (optional)
*1/4 cup of maple syrup (add more if you like a sweet granola)
1/2 cup of olive oil
*If you want it to be stickier and form into clumps for easier snacking then use honey instead of maple syrup but note that this will no longer make it vegan.
Yield: About 8 cups/ 2 liters
1. Preheat the oven to 300 °F (Remove anything you currently store in your oven first; I know you use it as an extra space to store stuff like we all do).
2. Gather your ingredients
3. Cover a large, flat baking pan with parchment paper
4. Dump all of your dry ingredients into a big bowl and then stir them together
5. Pour the liquid ingredients on top of the just-mixed dry ingredients and then mix it all together again
6. Spread the entire contents of the bowl evenly onto the baking sheet covered with parchment paper
*Notice the pale color before it goes in to tan*
7. Bake for 50 - 60 minutes, depending on your desired level of crunchiness. Make sure to remove the granola every 15 minutes and give it a little stir. Set a timer so you don't forget.
8. When baking is complete remove the granola from the oven and let it cool before you transfer it from the baking sheet to an airtight container.
*Notice how golden and crunchy it looks now?