New Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Necessary Distractions

The nature of my new job has me dealing with intense life issues that often leave me feeling emotionally drained, a different sensation than the physical exhaustion I felt as a teacher. The school counselor told me she always feels that way, always feels exhausted after a day of listening and counseling students and parents. I'm not nearly as involved in the drama as she and counselors in general are, but I still come home with the day's conversations fresh in my mind. Did I do enough? Did I give the right information? Should I have given the information that I gave? I have to remind myself to step back and give my mind a break from work and fill it with something that's unrelated - something simple, peaceful, and happy.


Often this comes in the form of literature or an episode of whatever series I'm watching on Netflix. Sometimes it means running at the gym or shopping at Marshall's. At times it means having a glass of wine or beginning a new project. And other times it means meeting Chris after work for a sunset surf or dancing in the bedroom by myself. The point is it's important to find ways to distract your mind from the sad and unjust problems of the day, lest you start internalizing them.


If I had children they would seemingly be the obvious distractions but, until then, I remain an active distraction-seeking participant. These are some of my recent distractions:


The ocean's salty breeze and magnificent sunsets are always renewing for the tired soul. And now that the air outside is warmer not only do we spend more time at the beach but we also spend more time in the backyard. And hanging out in the backyard more means making it comfortable and pretty, which gives me plenty of distractions to work with - from scouring Craigslist for weeks for the perfect patio set to watching the birds eat the seeds in the bird feeder we put up.



And then, of course, there's him, my ultimate distraction:


Have a great week everyone. Get your taxes done and find plenty of good distractions to get you through till next weekend. Thanks for reading!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

: )
Have a great week!

Mami

Anonymous said...

Taxes are done and I am thoroughly looking forward to both ultimate distraction and weekend. Thou shalt distract after all. Your writing grows crisper by the post.

C