New Pages

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Dogs, always dogs.

This post is dedicated to our grandmothers, Jean and Mary, and their precious dogs Molly and Maggie who recently passed away.

Marilyn Monroe once sang that "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" but I'm a girl and I don't care about diamonds. The only diamond I've ever owned is the one on my wedding ring. Sure, it's lovely and I feel like Jeremy, the crow from The Secret of NIMH, when I look at it - Ooh! oh-oh-oooh! A sparkly! - but I don't yearn for more. I prefer the "best friend" saying that dudes lucked away with : Dogs are a man's best friend. Yeah, yeah, I know that "man" is supposed to represent both males and females, but in the aforementioned song no one intends "girl" to also represent "boy" so I'm stealing the dog saying for now, for equality's sake. 

Dogs are everyone's best friend.

Men:



And women:




The first dog in my life was Floppy, when I was a toddler in Colombia, and I've been hooked ever since. There's been Cindy, T.G,  Breyer, Bear, Macy, Kaya, and the newest addition, Muneca - not to mention extended family and friends' dogs that have left their paw prints on our hearts, too: Molly, Maggie, Layla, Furio, Zeven, Scotty, Gus, Vino, Merrick, Mizzen and the list goes on. Being such a dog lover, it seems apropos that Chris' side of the family are also dog lovers so now we are always surrounded by our canine friends and their sweet and silly antics.





I often say that in my next life I want to be a bird so I can experience the thrill and freedom of flight. Well, in the life after that I'd be grateful to be a loyal dog. Put me in the responsible arms of a loving, financially stable young family, or in the soft arms of an elderly widow whose sole purpose in life is attending to my happiness.








Put me in the arms of an older couple who have filled the empty nest with animals and have experience loving dogs as if they were their own children. Preferably in a home with a pool. 





Put me in the strong arms of a young man who will run me and lead me to adventure, who will fuel my desire to learn and work.








create an animated gif


Put me among the fur-covered arms of my equals, where I can fulfill my need to socialize.




Put me in the open arms of a blogger, who will envision a potential post in every move I make.



create an animated gif



Just don't put me in the superficial arms of a person who thinks that "diamonds are a girl's best friend".

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love dogs too. They are smarter than most people I know and probably counsel and teach us more than we could ever understand.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Awwww... Love it!!
Don't forget to add Muñeca to you list of family dogs :)
Mami

Caroline said...

Little Breyer was dehydrated when he showed up on the front lawn. Papi fetched a Breyer's yogurt cup from the recycling and we filled it with water for him to drink, half expecting his very elderly, sick little self to pass away at any moment. But the water must have rejuvenated him and he chose us to live his last golden days with, which added up to a few months, I think. Anyway, that's where the name Breyer came from! Our first (and only...) chihuahua. I have a special place (and tolerance) in my heart now for chihuahuas!

Anonymous said...

Chihuaguey!

Ana Maria said...

Thanks for reminding me about this, I corrected his name in the post. I didn't get to know Breyer as well as you did but I know he was a sweet boy and I know you loved him and made his last days happy and fulfilling ones. :)

Ana Maria said...

Dogs are the best!

Ana Maria said...

Oh no, I forgot about Muneca! I was thinking of all the dogs in my past and she's so recent that she slipped my mind. I'll add her now.

Kallmen said...

I know my animals, especially my canines, have made this world a better place for me. They never judge or hold grudges. They love you even when you are fat and get wrinkles. This got me thinking about all the dogs I've loved and remembered them all so fondly. And now I even have grand-puppies to add to the list of pooches I love.

Ana Maria said...

And your grand-puppies looooove you!!