New Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

Quitting Facebook

Yesterday I deactivated my Facebook account. Before that I deleted the hundreds of pictures and dozen albums that I had posted over the years. I guess I did it because I didn't see the point in having all those pictures of me still circulating somewhere in the thick folds of the Internet (even though they're probably still around) if I wasn't in control of them anymore.

Why did I quit Facebook?

Because it was creating a monster out of me -  I became a bit of a Facebook addict. There was a Facebook icon on the menu bar of my desktop computer and I had the app on my phone and iPad. I would sometimes check Facebook out of habit, without even realizing I was doing it until I saw the news feed in front of me. It's pathetic, really.

Then, when I realized that Facebook had the ability to actually ruin my morning due to some of the completely stupid things a few of my Facebook friends would post I knew it was time to break it off. I've witnessed Facebook contribute to arguments between members of my extended family which eventually ruined their relationships. I've experienced jealousy and sadness due to posts friends have written in the past. I've actually wasted time trying to find a hidden meaning in some tag I wasn't included in. Instead of continuing to take all these things personally, like a self-obsessed freak, I needed to end the nonsense.

Plus the memes were taking over any real content anyway. Fewer people on Facebook are writing their updates as opposed to sharing a meme they found clever. Lately Facebook seems to be going down the failed path of MySpace.

Finally, I had the very morbid thought that when I die I would be remembered by the crap on my Facebook page - status updates and pictures that were posted on a whim, like after a recent experience I had at the gym. I don't need people to remember me as the girl whose workout was ruined because the woman on the treadmill next to her was wearing perfume. I mean, how petty am I?

Sure, I'll miss Facebook. It's a great way to keep in touch, especially for people who have friends and family  throughout the globe. And, it's perfect for efficiently spreading news about happy events like engagements and pregnancies. Who doesn't feel a tingle of pride when you have thirty notifications from people wishing you a happy birthday? Also, it was a great way to promote this blog. But there are other ways to spread the word, like Instagram and Twitter (which I just joined at www.twitter.com/LosFranich).  I'll give those a shot before swearing off all social media and retiring to my cave.

P.S - Further infuriating is the recent news of Facebook receiving tax cuts even though it made over one billion dollars last year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1. Commodified, impersonal socializing where the commodity is being given away for free by users.
2. The blackmailing of city government.
3. The massive collection of private information that somehow users gave up voluntarily despite obvious comparisons to the patriot act.

And with that information, users trusted everything to a large, for profit corporation to do right by them with all of this sensitive information. That's really what frustrates me -- the lack of control over privacy; the very commodity that users give freely to Facebook.

What's more is that despite it being so easy to communicate on Facebook, people have become more isolated due to this unnatural, impersonal style of communication; the lack of reprieve of knowing everything about everyone. But less was always more.

Though difficult I am sure, I congratulate you on your decision and welcome you with open arms Nanita to this simple, personal, offline party. To the end of Facebook and to refamiliarizing ourselves with our own networks without the aid of Zuck and co.

C