New Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Moving Day

During the school year, the last fifteen minutes of each day I read aloud to my students from several children's novels. The last one I read to them was Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, by Robert C. O'Brien. Most of my students enjoyed it and were interested in the scientific aspects of the story -the experimental and control groups of rats and mice - and the dramatic scenes: Would Timothy survive? What happened to Jonathan Frisby and why didn't Mrs. Frisby know anything about his cavorting with rats and owls? Would their house be moved in time? Would Dragon be a problem? The students that weren't into the story were allowed to sit quietly or put their heads down and rest, as long as they didn't interrupt me. 


Regardless of their opinions - I loved the story and plan on reading it to my future behbehs - it's been on my mind for the past couple of days. O'Brien puts it best: 


And yet despite the fine warmth of the day - indeed, in a way, because of it - Mrs. Frisby could not quite get rid of a nagging worry that kept flickering in her mind; it was the kind of worry that, if you push it out of this corner of your thoughts, pops up in that corner, and finally in the middle, where it has to be faced. It was the though of Moving Day.


Simply switch Mrs. Frisby for Mrs. Hallman-Franich and our situations are identical.



In one month Chris and I are loading the car and and taking off on our cross-country move. Whatever doesn't fit in the car (mostly everything) needs to be sent beforehand, either through Greyhound Express or USPS. And the furniture we're not taking (absolutely all of it) needs to find a home via Craigslist, friends and family, or an estate sale. And on top of all of that mess, Chris is studying for the California Bar exam like he's getting paid overtime to do it. The test starts on July 24th so he's studying about 50 hours a week, minimum.



Basically what's happening here is there's a ton of work to do and no motivation to do it...even though I'm not working right now so I have nothing but free time available.

I did make these today, though:



They're Fireworks Blondies! You know, in celebration of Independence Day!  Because, clearly, I am procrastinating  have nothing better to do.

Yesterday I did manage to pack a total of five items (now that I think about it, I was drinking a spiced rum on the rocks while I papered and taped, so maybe there's my motivation) but then Charlie came over and I became a bit distracted.


Seriously, can you blame me? He waddled right in and started barking at his own reflection in the sliding glass door. Then he proceeded to make these adorable grunting noises whenever I would pet him, and then he just flopped all over the ground like this and, well, I just had my hands full for the rest of the night.

But today, TODAY, I am going to pack. Our living room is a mess of miscellany and it needs to get organized. 


I'll be walking to Home Depot as soon as I hit "publish" on this post...and check Facebook...and Pinterest...and Instagram...and Dlisted...and Jezebel...and...:sigh:.

2 comments:

Kallmen said...

I think Blondies and rum are the perfect combo for getting ready to start beginning to think about packing!

Anonymous said...

I see you've changed the feel of the blog eh? I like. They (John Lennon) says money doesnt one (me) love. What does? The riches brought with family and friends and a little calm after the storm of law school. Jobless now? Yes. But prospects in California are looking good thus far and as with all large tasks, we take things one day at a time.

Nice post. Many of the same feelings you've touched on I'm feeling. It gladdens me that we aren't alone to do these big tasks. California here I come -- Right back where I started from!

C