New Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pinspiration - Olive Oil and Maple Granola

Chris and I are breakfast people. We would never skip breakfast - never, ever. Neither of us are particularly fond of skipping any meals, but if we had to choose one to do without, it would never be breakfast. During the weekdays it's what gets me out of bed when the alarm goes off at 6 in the morning. On weekend mornings, a long, hearty breakfast is usually the start of a good day. I truly can't imagine not eating breakfast and am baffled by people who confess to never eating it. How do you wake up without breakfast? How can you work without breakfast? How can you face the world as a sane person without breakfast? Where does your energy come from? I just don't understand. Breakfast doesn't have to be elaborate, just throw some cereal and milk together and, voila!

Luckily, Chris is even more of a breakfast person than I am so he takes the time, every morning, to make it for us both. While I make myself coffee and prepare lunch to take with me to school he busies himself with the task of making the most glorious meal of the day. He alternates daily between egg scrambles and yogurt with granola and fruit; those are the main ingredients and rarely are there variations, which is completely okay because we love eggs and we love granola and get excited experimenting with egg combinations (he started adding cinnamon to the eggs and it's actually delicious) and buying different flavors of granola.

A couple of weeks ago I came across a recipe for olive oil and maple granola from the foodie blog Orangette. I pinned it onto my Belly Happiness board on Pinterest and vowed to make a batch of it as soon as we ran out of the store-bought granola we were using. That was two weeks ago and I've made two batches of granola since, that's how good the granola is. I had never made granola before and I will probably only make granola from now forth, never buying it from the store again. It's so easy, so tasty, and so much cheaper.






The first time I made the granola I followed the recipe exactly as written. The second time I substituted   honey for the maple syrup and almonds for the pecans and it was still just as splendid - we ate some this morning. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!
Pop

Anonymous said...

She's not kidding -- this stuff is very very tasty. So much so, makes me want break down the cost and figure out how/where we can get an oven big enough to cook heaps of Ana's granola and sell it.

In granola, yogurt, birkenstock country, this stuff would make a killing.

Hmmm... Company name: Ana Banana's Granola?