New Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Lesson in Acrostic Poetry

Today I taught my fifth grade students how to make an acrostic poem. I told them the easiest way to make such a poem is by using your own name. As an example I used my last name and wrote it vertically on the board:

H
A
L
L
M
A
N

Then I told them they have to pick one word for each letter of their name that describes them and that begins with the same letter.

"For example, for the H in Hallman I can put..." and then I paused to think of a word and immediately heard someone say, "Honest!". I decided to humor that person so I wrote down Honest. Then I went on to letter A and before I could pause to think of a word myself, another student blurted out, "Awesome!". So I wrote that down, and it was then clear that they understood the meaning of an acrostic poem and that they were not going to let me finish my poem on my own. This is what they came up with:

Honest
Awesome
Looks good
Loyal
Married
Amazing
Nice

It's not the most creative and unique acrostic poem around, and I probably would have used less cliche adjectives myself, but it still made me happy while I was writing it on the board - especially the "Looks good" part. I love the naivete innocence of children.

Later I reviewed compound words with them and one of my brightest students said "Ms. Hallman, your name is a compound word". Thanks for noticing! This teaching thing is getting better each day - I can easily get used to being the center of attention.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha..cute!!
-Krista

Chris said...

Fun (or farcical -- depending on who you are talking to)
Rad (or rich in humor!)
Adorable
Nana's husband
I've pretty (keep reading)
Cool
Hilarious?