New Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

Meatloaf Monday

* Update on February 24, 2015 - Since I am vegan now there is no longer any meatloaf in my diet. Just FYI :)

It's Columbus Day, a day for which many government employees means a day free from work. Unfortunately for Florida public school workers, it is not a holiday that merits a day off.  But in all honesty, as much as I would have loved having the day off, Columbus Day isn't a day I feel fond of celebrating. Let's call it what it really is:

or


or, if you will,


What all that means is that I had to work today so I'm tired and I don't have much energy to write a long , meaningful post. I will write about tonight's dinner.

Chris and I have gone low-carb. Low-carb means we are increasing our protein consumption by about a few turkeys and chickens a week, with a side of cow.  I wish I could say that we are doing a low-carb, vegetarian diet but that would be a big, meaty lie. We are eating meat but mostly poultry and usually organic and natural. And we haven't completely cut out the carbs from our diet. I still eat a sandwich every day for lunch and I often have granola for breakfast.  We just don't eat anything that would be considered delicious by Italian standards - no pasta (rarely even whole wheat), no fluffy bread for dipping in succulent oils, and very little sugar. Also, I haven't been to the gym much lately (lately = two months) so eating a low-carb diet makes me feel less guilty about not working out.

Due to this low-carb diet and our busy schedules, our main source of protein has become ground turkey or ground chicken. There are not as many recipes for low-carb dishes with ground poultry as I would like there to be, so we've had to improvise. Last week I made a ground turkey meatloaf for the first time ever and we both loved it. Today, Chris made his rendition of ground turkey meatloaf and it was delicious! He added a   bit of white cheddar, a ton of vegetables, cilantro, sweet potato (the only type of potato we eat now), and slivered almonds, which all gave the meatloaf an unexpected kick. It turned out hearty, healthy, and tasty. I think we've found our new, favorite ground turkey recipe.





I hope everyone enjoyed their day today, with our without carbs! Just four more days till the weekend. 









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The look on Chris' face is one of a serious, determined chef. So unlike the last pix of him you posted on FB. Keep him in the kitchen and out of the pubs! ;-)
Pop

coot said...

I was gonna say something about the look on his face, too. Making a mueca almost.

Megan said...

That looks GOOD! What veggies did he use?

Ana Maria said...

Thanks, Megan, it was good! He used sweet potatoes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, bell peppers, spinach, and cilantro...I think. Basically whatever vegetables we had in the fridge.